It’s Super Bowl weekend, and you know what that means: lots of junk food, beer, and super-excited men. And just as the song goes, these are few of my favorite things! I don’t mind football either.
Not that this weekend of fried stuff and pigskin needs to be all about guys, but since the Super Bowl is most men’s…well, Super Bowl, it’s a good time to meet lots of guys out and about celebrating. Here are a few easy ways to strike up a conversation with one of them, as long as you don’t do it during a huge play.
1. While fighting your way through grocery-store madness, ask his opinion on whether you should make pigs in a blanket or buffalo chicken dip for your party. (The answer is both.)
2. Then invite him to stop by the party so he can sample your final selection.
3. Wear your team’s shirt all weekend long—it gives you an excuse to high-five fellow fans and (good-naturedly, of course) heckle hotties in the opposition’s jerseys.
4. If you’re watching the game at a bar, offer to make a friendly, low-stakes bet with the guys at the table next to you. For example: Whoever’s team scores first gets a round on the other table.
5. Use one of these football-season-appropriate pickup lines for the last time until next fall. (Use at your own risk.)
6. If you’re at a house party, be the person in charge of collecting money and organizing the Super Bowl squares pool (and here’s how to win it), so you have a guaranteed conversation starter with any cute guys you might not know.
7. Offer to buy him a shot if his team loses.
8. Offer to buy him a shot if his team wins.
What are your Super Bowl plans? Do you find sporting events to be good for talking to guys?